1 Day after Sandy

Tuesday, October 30th 

+1 sandy 1

The morning after the storm the sun starts to peak through briefly.  Most boats still in the marina survived, though damage is apparent.  As the surge lifted the floating docks up higher than their pilings, when they came down askew their corner brackets broke off under the weight of the dock.  Now that the storm has moved farther west and inland the wind has shifted direction and blows out of the south, almost opposite from the Nor’easter conditions of just 12 hours earlier…

+1 sandy 2

By the time this boat owner wanted to move the boat on the day of the storm the wind was blowing so hard it would have been impossible to pull off the dock and not get blown into some situation that could have been far worse.  As a result he stayed in his berth, only to have the floating dock come up over the piling on the left.  That left nothing between his hull and the top of the piling.  Near where the shore power cable dangles by the water you can see the scars from this boat banging up and down on the piling to the left.  Miraculously, the boats hull was not penetrated.  The strength of fiberglass!

+1 sandy 3

Here the high water mark of the storm is evidenced by all this floating debris on 12th Street.  The River is approximately 200 feet towards the background of this picture, just beyond the tree in the distance.  Many garages in this area suffered water damage, though ground floor residences in this relatively newly-built area were largely spared.

+1 sandy 4

Though more than 12 hours after the storm, at this point the town is so filled with water there is nowhere for most of it to go.  Notice here the generator on the top step and the general unhealthy color of the water.  The relatively fancy door to the basement apartment suggests that the owner of this building or had not experienced a flood in this location before.  Though the orange extension cord beneath the front steps disappears into the pool, at this point this block is on the first day of approximately 6 days without electricity.

+1 sandy 5

The high water line at Maxwell Place Pier is strewn with debris.  At this park 19 sycamore trees blew down, and more were partially uprooted.  In the background on the right is Union Dry Dock, which suffered loss of electricity and phone service, but was back in operations a few days later.  In the background far left is the driving range at Chelsea Piers, an area in Manhattan that suffered extensive damage.

+1 sandy 6

For many days after the storm public parks were closed.  Fallen trees and unpredictable conditions made it too dangerous for the public to enter.  The focus for all public employees was to deal with more pressing issues such as reaching people trapped in their homes with health conditions that needed urgent medical assistance and evacuating buildings with known or feared gas leaks or other conditions that made their building unoccupyable, if not uninhabitable.

+1 sandy 7

The Maxwell Place Boathouse, home to the Hoboken Cove Community Boathouse programs, survived the storm in good shape.  The debris line in front shows the heavier objects remained at the top of the rip-rap slope with the lighter material floated onto the promenade.

+1 sandy 8

In some cases people taped door entrances to try and keep the expected flood waters out.  This store front on Washington has relatively high elevation, though the owner taped the windows as many shops and restaurants did to prevent flying glass.

see more of hurricane sandy

back to photo gallery


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: